The Family Treasure
Lifeguide with family life counsellor Trafford Fisher
Trafford FischerMar 20, 2023, 12:51 AM
A:”Blended” families are formed by children of a previous marriage of
While you manage all the new things about your re-shaped family—new routines, new ways of operating time- tables, shared bathrooms and crowded meal times—remember to:
1. Treasure expressions of love and affection. Research into families has demonstrated that long-term, healthy families are those nurtured and ener- gised by expressions of love and affec- tion. Family members let each other know, as often as possible, just how highly they are valued and cherished.
2. Treasure the diamonds amidst the “dirt.” In the mining industry, diamonds are rarely found on the surface—they are mined from deep down under tons of rock and dirt. Families often spend much of their time focusing on the family “dirt” rather than noticing the diamonds. Find as many chances as you can to affirm each other
3. Treasure the opportunities for surprise parenting. Training children isn’t always structured. There are many surprise moments we can grab to teach them our values and explain our beliefs. School may be from 9 to 3, but moments for education in the home can appear at any hour!
4. Treasure the mistakes—they are stepping-stones to a better life. We all make mistakes and we all appreciate someone saying to us, “It’s OK. Learn from the moment and press on.” If we get squashed every time we make a mistake we may well be tempted to give up trying!
5. Treasure differences. We all approach life differently and while we may at times be tempted to see those differences in terms of right and wrong, we will do better to see them simply as different. Remember, we may not agree with someone, but we can try to understand; we may not approve of someone’s behaviour, but we can show
Nov 8, 2023
In this article, we will explore motivational quotes from the Bible, each a powerful antidote to the paralysis that so often infects our spirit.
Nov 7, 2023
Consider, if you will, the goodness of God, which is far from a nebulous concept. It is the very essence of God’s nature—a beacon that illuminates our path to righteousness...
Nov 7, 2023
The Bible reveals 'What was the Mission of Jesus'? When we gaze upon Jesus, we see the face of God—a perfect reflection of His righteousness, His justice, and His love...